– 1 frozen 9″ pie crust
– 1-13.5 oz can Coconut Milk
– 1 tablespoon cornstarch
– 4 large eggs
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 3/4 cup flaked coconut
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. If using a frozen pie shell, thaw for 15 minutes before baking. Line the pie shell with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Pour in 2 cups of rice or beans to weigh down the pie crust. Bake for 12 minutes.
2. Remove rice and parchment paper (save for other pie shell baking). Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (175°C). Open oven door a few minutes to cool off the oven temperature so when you cook the custard, it won’t curdle the eggs.
3. In a bowl using an electric mixer, beat eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, coconut extract and salt until well mixed. Set aside.
4. In a medium saucepan, mix 1/4 cup of Coconut Milk with cornstarch until cornstarch is completely dissolved.
5. Stirring constantly, (being careful not to boil), add remaining Coconut Milk and cook until sauce begins to thicken. Remove from heat. It will be done when it starts to thicken slightly. Remove from heat.
6. Stirring constantly (being careful not to boil) add remaining Coconut Milk. Cook until sauce begins to thicken. Remove from heat.
7. Pour custard into the pie shell. Sprinkle with coconut.
8. Bake 25 – 30 minutes or until the custard is firmly set.
9. Serve warm or cold.